Southwest Airlines has put forward clear and transparent Southwest Airlines cancellation and refund policy as they have set forth their other business policies thus abolishing all the possibilities of future discrepancies that could make its customers suffer. Southwest Airlines flight cancellation and refund policy variable depends upon the fare rules and types of tickets one has previously booked. Voluntary cancellation, on the part of the traveller, of Southwest Airlines may attract penalties to be deducted from the original fare, whereas, involuntary cancellation on the airlines part gives multiple choices to the passengers. As a ticket-provider of Southwest Airlines, FirstFly Travels always go by Southwest Airlines cancellation policy followed by the Southwest Airlines Refund policy issued by the Airline itself.
A Quick Guide Of Southwest Airlines Cancellation And Refund Policy
Cancellation and Refund:
- Southwest Airline offers three kinds of fares – Wanna Get Away, Anytime, and Business Select. When cancelling a Southwest Airlines flight Wanna Get Away fare can be reusable but not refundable, while Anytime and Business Select fare are fully refundable as well as reusable.
- According to Southwest cancellation policy, Wanna Get Away, Anytime, and Business Select fares can be used for a future trip up to one year from the original date of purchase by the originally ticketed passenger only.
- Fares are reusable as well as refundable as long as they were cancelled in accordance with Southwest Airlines’ No-Show policy, where a flight needs to be cancelled at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure.
- In case of the Anytime and Business fares, upon requesting Southwest Airlines cancellations, passengers have the option to receive the refund in the original mode of payment or Travel Funds for future use.
- While cancelling Southwest Airlines flights booked with fare points, the remaining point balance will be credited back to the account from which they were booked.
Steps to Cancel Your Southwest Airlines Flight Booking:
- Visit the official website of Southwest Airlines on www.southwest.com and select ‘Look Up Reservation’ in the menu.
- Enter the six-digit confirmation number and the passenger’s name in the required field.
- If you have Southwest cancel flight refund value available, you can choose to receive a refund or convert the airfare into travel funds.
- Click on the ‘Cancel flight’ button to cancel the flight. You can also select a specific passenger for Southwest Airlines cancellation, in case, with the attached booking confirmation you have more than one passenger.
- As per Southwest Airlines refund policy, airfare refund may take one to two billing cycles to reflect the refund in the account statement.
Southwest Airlines Flight Delay and Cancellation Compensation Policy:
The compensation amount for flight delay is fixed by EC261 (the European law). It states that when your flight is late by at least 3 hours at destination, you are authorised to:
- 250€ for flights shorter than 1,500km
- 400€ for flights between 1,500 and 3,500km
- 600€ for flights longer than 3,500km
Since flights between Europe and the United States are longer than 3,500km, you’ll be entitled to 600€. There’s only one exception: if the delay at your destination is between 3 and 4 hours, Southwest is allowed to reduce the compensation amount by 50%.
So, to summarise, for a delayed flight with Southwest between Europe and the US, you’re authorised to:
- Zero amount if the delay is less than 3 hours
- 300€ ($330) if the delay is between 3 and 4 hours
- 600€ ($660) if the delay is longer than 4 hours
Southwest Airlines Hold Policy:
As per the Southwest Airlines Hold policy, you have the simple option to cancel it within 24 hours of booking. Where you change or cancel a booking within 24 hours of purchase, you don't have to pay anything for the same.